Monday, October 12, 2009

Why do I Eat When I'm Not Hungry / Weight Loss

I really had to ask myself this question over the weekend.  I wasn't feeling good.  Should be an automatic "no need to eat" situation.  I was keeping my hands busy making jewelry and creating scrapbook pages.  This usually keeps me from eating when I'm not hungry.  Then again, I don't desire the foods at all usually when I'm scrapbooking.  This weekend, however, I wanted to nibble on everything in sight.  I didn't...not everything at least :).  However I caught myself eating when I wasn't hungry.  I believe, after much thought...and throwing away the uneaten portions, that I thought I wouldn't ever have it again.  Or, at least, I felt like that.  Wow!!! Is this a lie you have ever told yourself?  "I will never eat something this good again."  "There is only a little, I better grab some just in case." or "I'll only eat it here as a treat to myself."  What a treat...one that makes you feel guilty, fat, uncomfortable.  It is like drinking yourself into a terrible hangover and saying "I earned it"....WHAT??? 

I will say, however, that when I eat something wonderfully tasting...when I'm hungry, it is not only enjoyable, but it is not followed by guilt and pain.  I need to;  1)stop and ask myself if I'm really hungry  2) pick something carefully that I'm really wanting, will enjoy and that has some healthy qualities to it. (notice I didn't say totally healthy...I'm not unreasonable :) ), 3) eat slow enough to realize when the hunger is gone and finally 4) pack the rest up for the next meal or snack.   Now, I will have eaten at the right time, something I love, just enough and best of all ...save some for another time.

Oh...by the way.  I'm down another 3.8 lbs this week.  Yeah!!!

1 comment:

Corenae said...

Every day is a struggle new and fill;ed with insight. 3+ pounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!